Sunday, April 5, 2009

Do MANners still exist?

So, here I am in this wonderful city of Boston. One would think there are endless possibilities to find an attractive male to share fun times with, laugh with, have a coffee with, you know the usual. Like I said, one would think. But guess what, it turns out there isn't. ( I'm sure there is, I just haven't found any yet, so I'm going with there are none, hang with me).

It all started a two weeks ago when my cousin and I went to a math geek and athlete theme party. Yes, I am a fan of theme parties and obviously I dressed as a geek (ruler in hand). So at this party, an attractive male lurked next to the table. I being a weak one for the lurking sort, made eye contact then looked away, not making anything of it. I am making conversation with my cousin and one of her friends from work and when I turn around, lurker is there and still cute. Naturally, I introduce myself. I have to say he was a little shorter when he was in front of me than when he was lurking next to the table farther away. Anyway, conversation was good, music was good, my drink was even better. As the night wound down and people started leaving, the cous and I decided it was probably time to head out. Mr. Lurker asked for the number. I felt like being nice that night and allowed him my number.

He called. On Monday (waited the whole two days to call). Anyways, he asked if I wanted to go out. blah blah, long story short, we did... we went to an awesome restaurant. However, the part that makes this story all worth the back story, this kid had NO and I mean absolutely NO table manners. How does a guy ( I forgot to mention he was much older) not have table manners with a girl he is trying to impress. I was appalled. One, he reached across my plate to grab something, that he could have easily asked for with a please and thank you. I really wouldn't have minded the interruption. Then, he scarfed his food down. I was barely finished with one bite before he was on to the next dish ( we had Tapas). It was by far the most disheartening date I have been on in a long time. The only good thing was is that he paid even when I offered to split. So we are leaving and my car was parked far away so he drove me to my car... the inevitable awkwardness pursued and he tried to go in for the kiss, don't worry, I slid the cheek in there right in time. I know, I am a pro!

Do manners exist anymore? Is it something that I have to get over and accept that guys don't have manners? I hope not. I really hope not. So until the next date, match.com it is. JUST KIDDING.

Hasta Pasta,
Katie

1 comment:

Sarah O said...

First, I love the theme party idea. I might have to borrow the idea of a future party of mine.

Second, don't lower your standards for these guys. The bad part is they probably know how they should act but just choose not too. (That's even worse than not knowing any better.) I'm sure you'll stumble across a great guy soon. No internet date yet!