Saturday, January 9, 2010

crap happens but it still sucks

I was introduced to The Sandbox morning show on WFNX about 7 months ago. The guys at WFNX - Charlie, Fletcher and Special Ed kept me company on my drive to work. Not only did they keep me company, they made me laugh. Never driving in the car on my own did I ever laugh so hard out loud.

After a long break during Christmas and New Years, I jumped in my car on Monday morning to head to work. I turn on The Sandbox and it's music. Then another song, then another song, then another song. I was confused. I get to work and Christen yells at me, "Katie! THEY CANCELLED THE SANDBOX!" It was devastating. The rest of the day we were keeping track of what was going on.

Apparently, WFNX got a new manager and in attempts to gain listener numbers and cut costs, they cut The Sandbox. In response, listeners have nearly revolted. There is a Facebook page and a Twitter account dedicated to bringing back The Sandbox and making sure management knows the listeners aren't happy. Special Ed has created a blog called The Empire where he and Charlie are also recording podcasts.

It is just as good as when they were on the air but there is no Fletcher. But it may be even better, they are still discussing the same things, still complaining about the same crap, and in this podcast there is no editing, they are cussing up a storm and it's great!

The fans on the The Sandbox fan page on Facebook are trying to get a party together to honor the guys. The party will be epic and Christen and I are ready to go.

But long live The Sandbox and it will be missed! It's weird to see something that is so popular be canned and just taken off the air like that. Like I said, crap happens, but it still sucks.

So now I have to listen to my cds, my ipod or crappy other radio stations that exist in the Boston area where they play Miley Cyrus and crappy-shits of the like.

HAPPY NEW YEAR or as the fellas say, bah weep?!

-KATIE

No comments: