Tuesday, February 9, 2010

the blind date... the article

back in january i signed up to go on a blind date through the Boston Globe. well, i went on the date and it was fun. the guy, kyle, was really nice and we've hung out a few times since. he's a stand-up comedian- fitting, right? well the article ran in the Boston Globe magazine on Sunday. it's hilarious. so i share with you here... enjoy.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2010/02/07/funny_people/

FEBRUARY 7, 2010 COVER
Her ideal match: A guy that can make her laugh

Says she’s a catch because: She likes to make people smile and doesn’t take life too seriously.

Kyle Ploof, 23, Comedian

Last book he read: Born Standing Up, by Steve Martin

His perfect date: Steers clear of any foods that might affect the possibility of a good-night kiss

7:30 p.m. Stephanie’s on Newbury, Back Bay

All Joking Aside Kyle: I was nervous I’d get paired with someone super-serious just to throw me off. I’ve seen it happen on dating shows.

Katie: I took the T in, and I was nervous it was going to break down or run into another train.

Kyle: I was 10 minutes early. She was running late but called the restaurant to give me a heads-up, which was cool.

Katie: He was tall, cute, and well-dressed. I was wearing tall boots, but he has almost a full foot on me.

Kyle: She was cute and well-dressed.

Make ‘Em Squirm Kyle: I was surprised by how calm she was. She didn’t seem like she took herself too seriously.

Katie: When he told me he was a stand-up comedian, I felt pressure to be extra funny. But I’m pretty humorous.

Kyle: We have a very similar sense of humor, where making other people uncomfortable amuses us. We both love comedy and Dave Matthews.

Katie: I was mostly interested in how he got into stand-up. I’ve wanted to get into improv for a while now. He told me I’d probably be good at it.

Kyle: I felt comfortable from the get-go. We were proud we kicked awkwardness to the curb.

Katie: The first question I asked him was why he signed up for this. He told me if anything, it was going to be good material for his next show.

Kyle: I thought she was great when I told her I could be using the date for possible material and she was like: “Awesome!” I probably won’t, though. Great material only comes from train wrecks of situations.

Katie: After telling him how much I hated the song “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus, he shamelessly told me he was a fan of it.

Kyle: Don’t let anyone tell you they don’t like that song. They’re either a liar or a terrorist.

Katie: I think we were into each other. He told me I’d have to come check out one of his shows, and I plan to.

Kyle: We cracked each other up all night.

The Afterparty Kyle: We went out drinking after the meal. It was Katie’s idea -- and I thought it was a good one. It was Friday, after all.

Katie: A couple of my friends were in the area and met up with us.

Kyle: We hugged goodbye. I was glad there wasn’t an awkward handshake-hug hybrid that all too often accompanies first dates.

Post-Mortem: Kyle says: A

Katie says: A

A Second Date? Katie: It may just happen.

Kyle: Only if she admits to rocking out to “Party in the USA.”

2 comments:

Sarah O said...

I can't believe you were brave enough to do this. It's awesome. I want a follow up to see what happens in the future.
P.S. Definitely go and see one of his shows to see if he mentions the date.

katieb said...

Ha. I haven't made it into any material yet. I went to one of his shows last week and it was really good.